What is a study permit?
The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.
Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit.
Fateh Law Corporation now helps with securing admissions to Canadian educational institutions.
Apply through us and find the right match for you
You can come to Canada to study if you
- are enrolled at a DLI
- prove you have enough money to pay for
- your tuition fees
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
- return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
- obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
- are in good health and get a medical exam (if required) and
- prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires
Get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream
If you’re a legal resident in certain countries, you may be able to get your study permit faster by applying online through the Student Direct Stream.
While studying in Canada you must:
- make progress towards completing your program
- respect any conditions listed on your study permit and
- stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements
Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as
- if you’re allowed to work in Canada
- if you’re allowed to travel within Canada
- the specific date you must leave Canada
- where you can study (a specific DLI listed on your permit) and
- You can’t study at a DLI other than the one listed on your permit.
- whether you need an immigration medical examination